Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Addison Lynne Fulton

While in labs, I got a text from Christa about 0900 saying she was 5cm dilated and was being admitted! I was soo excited because we'd all been waiting for baby girl to make her appearance.  About 1030 I got a text from Christa saying she was scared and by 1045 David said she wanted me there.  By 1100 I was on the road from Kinston to Richlands.  I stopped at home to hop in the shower and grab my camera.  By 1145 I was back on the road from Richlands to Naval Hospital.  I arrived in Christa's room about 1215.  She already had her epi in place and was now 6cm dilated.  She was making great progress now that she was relaxed and able to let her muscles do the work.


By 1430 she was 9cm dilated and at +1 station.  Pushing was coming very soon!  Once Christa was able to push, she got the hang of what to do real quick.  Baby girl was coming down face first instead of crown first.  We were holding out hope that she would turn on her own.  After an hour of pushing with not much progress, it was time to call the OB-GYN in to assist baby girl in her birth.  About this time, Martha, Christa's sister arrived and was able to come in and encourage Christa to give things some time and have faith that it was going to be ok.

After finding that baby girl had gone from face first to facing mommy's hip-bone, the OB-GYN was able to manually turn baby girl.  This allowed for him to attempt the vacuum as assistance.  After 4 attempts with the vacuum, it became clear that this wasn't what was meant to be.  Baby girl was well into the birth canal at this point and was now at risk for heart rate decels if they didn't get her out soon.  Immediately after agreeing to the urgent c-section, Daddy was dressed, papers were signed, mommy cried and I gave some hugs.


Waiting is always the hardest part, but I knew Christa was good in hands and had David by her side.  Before I knew it, word reached us that baby girl was out!

After confirming baby girl had brown hair, her parents gave her the name Addison Lynne.  Once I knew everyone and everything was okay, I ran off to school to take a test.  I came back to the hospital about 2215 to find mommy in her room and waiting for Addison to arrive.  It was a sweet feeling watching Christa hold her daughter for the first time.  David couldn't stop smiling.  It was a great ending to a very long day.





Addison Lynne Fulton
March 17, 2010
1827
7lbs. 7oz.
20 in.




No comments: