Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sawyer Anthony Lee Fisher

Yes, its true. After only 2 hours of sleep after Addison's delivery, Tana woke me up with, "I think my water just broke." So there I was again...  Right back at Naval Hospital at 0400.  She was doing well when I arrived. Only 1cm dialated but because her sac was broken, they had to admit her. She got lots of rest with the help of pain meds. About 0730, she was check and told she was 2-3cm dilated. They gave her more pain meds thru the IV just to take off the edge of the contractions.  Those made her a little loopey which was great entertainment for me and Allissa.

She was able to hold off on the epi for a little while. Jesse was able to call which was bitter sweet. She was very relieved that he knew she was in labor but got emotional when he had to go.

She's tough, and she had good support around. Allissa was able to keep everyone updated on Facebook, and I was posting updates on the Marine Wives board.  At 0900, she was checked again, and they said she was 3 cm dilated, 80% effaced and -1 station. Tana decided it was time to call for the epi.  She was quite anxious about this, but I was standing right by her the entire time.  Hannah, the nurse, and I talked her through it, and I think that helped to put her at ease.  At 1000, she was 4cm dilated, 90% effaced and 0 station. Tana was able to get a good two hour nap in once she was relaxed.  This really helped her dilation!  By 1300 she was 7cm dilated, 100% effaced and still at 0 station. She was doing good and just waiting. Jesse was able to call again, and he was hoping he could call again later in the afternoon.  About 1500 she was checked again, and we found she was still 7cm dilated but was now +2 station. That's when they put her on a low dose of Pitocin to help with contractions and try to dilate the remaining 3cm. Jesse was able to call one final time before bed, but he knew he wouldn't be able to call again until late in the evening...  We were all hoping Sawyer would be here by that time!  Just after Jesse's final call, Tana's family arrived from Ohio.  We'd all been joking that Sawyer was waiting on them to make his appearance.  Once they were there, we were ready for him to come on out!


Finally at 1900 Tana was going in for a c-section. She stayed at 7cm for more than 5 hours. The CNM was very patient and gave her a fair chance at progressing on her own. She was contracting very well but just couldn't get past 7cm. She was upset, and I could read her mind. I knew all she wanted and needed was Jesse by her side, but none of us could change that for her. She was a super-trooper that day, a real rock star. Jesse would be so proud of her!





About 1930 was when I finally got the word he was here! And he's beautiful of course! Full head of hair. Long and skinny.




Sawyer Anthony Lee Fisher
7lbs. 5 oz.
20 in.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

You are an amazing friend for standing by both ladies through their labor and delivery! Thanks for sharing the stories and pictures :)