Monday, May 3, 2010

Super Proud

Matt was awarded one of his medals today.  Unfortunately, it was an impromptu ceremony, so I was unable to attend...  Which also means no photo's.  Although I'm disappointed about that, I am very excited to share this award with everyone.

Depart of the Navy
this is to certify that
the Secretary of the Navy has awarded the
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
(with Combat "V")
to
Corporal Matthew J. Draughon
United States Marine Corps
for
Heroic achievement in the superior performance of his duties while serving as Fire Team Leader, Police Mentoring Team Now Zad, Military Police Company, Brigade Headquarters Group, Marine Expeditionary Brigade-Afghanistan, from August to December 2009 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.  Corporal Draughon decisively employed his Marines in 14 separate engagements with enemy forces.  On 29 August, he and his team were caught in an enemy ambush.  Corporal Draughon immediately deployed his Marines where they could best repel the enemy attack and inflict maximum casualties.  He twice exposed himself to enemy fire in order to mark fighting positions and provided the control needed to call for close air support in order to disrupt the attack.  His solid leadership on 25 combat missions and his relationship with local Afghans resulted in them providing the location of three improvised explosive devices and two fighting positions that the enemy had created to stage attacks.  Corporal Draughon's initiative, perseverance and total dedication to duty reflected credit upon him and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

given this 9th day of February 2010

signed: L.D. Nicholson
Brigadier General, U.S. Marine Corps
Commanding General,
Task Force Leatherneck
Marine Expeditionary Brigade-Afghanistan



Matthew will now be wearing this medal with pride

3 comments:

Meg said...

what an accomplishment! Congratulations to him!

Audrey said...

That is so great!!! I would be super proud too - Congratulations :)

Rei said...

Congratulations to your hubby! How wonderful!!

Just stopping by to say hi! I found you on Semper Spouse, I'm your newest follower!