Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Some updating is needed...

First and foremost, we spent our anniversary together for the first time!  His company pulled out of the field  a bit early, so he was home in time for dinner.  A dinner which I cooked.  I made seafood pasta and bought a cheesecake.  We had sparkling wine with our meal and chocolate wine with our dessert.  Afterward, we relaxed and watched out weekly addiction So You Think You Can Dance and voted!  It was a nice evening that was perfect...  For us!

I should also update you all on my job which I love.  At OMH, I am shared between Labor & Delivery and Postpartum.  Each department has it's pro's and con's but overall I like them both very much.  At times it is difficult, as a person who faces the possibilities of infertility, to be surrounded by the miracle of birth and babies...  But it is also a blessing because I see those who face the same possibilities as I conquer those difficulties and succeed in their dream of becoming families.

While we're on the subject, I'll go ahead update on that area of my life as well.  Yesterday I had a follow-up with my Endocrinologist.  she informed me that my insulin levels are still too high.  During my most recent Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) my levels were about 5 times the normal amount.  A GTT works like this: they take your blood after fasting for 12 hours, you drink a sugar liquid and they take blood again, finally they take blood at 1 hour and 2 hours after drinking the liquid.  For me, the fasting level was 4; that's good.  Everyone should be under 10.  After drinking the liquid I was at 120-something, at 1 hour I was 70-something and finally at two hours I was 58.  Not good!  My poor little pancreas is working too hard.  So I am still insulin resistant and pre-diabetic.  Because of this, I now have to take daily injections.  Next appointment is the first week of November.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Until then...  My poor tummy is slowly becoming freckled with the red dots of injection sites.

I guess that's about it right now.

No comments: